Saturday, April 27, 2013

Moments of Grace

                       
                                     
Egret Ambush

In her book An Altar in the World, Barbara Brown Taylor includes a chapter titled "The Practice of Getting Lost." I've been doing it and it is a wonderful thing.

Of course, I wasn't lost lost when I took this photo, but I had turned down a road heading east from Highway 34 just south of Bawcomville, a road I had never traveled before and had no idea where it would take me.

And this is what I found: A beautiful recreation area with a small lake. And a Great Egret standing in ambush framed by trees on a point extending into the lake.

But I didn't see the bird until I raised the camera with my 70-210mm lens on full zoom! Yes, the bird is tiny in the frame. I really, really need a 400mm lens. But that will have to wait...

In the meantime, getting lost with camera in hand saves my life every time. Moments of grace abound!

BTW, I highly recommend Taylor's book for all seekers of grace. Even if you don't consider yourself "religious," maybe even especially if you don't consider yourself religious, I'm guessing this book has something in it for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment