Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Photographer's Journal

     
                 
Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword

Back in May, I had to drive to Baton Rouge. As is my pleasure, I left plenty early so I could stop along the way and shoot.

Just south of Winnsboro, I noticed a small lake on the west side of Highway 15/425. A road or driveway, I wasn't sure which, turned off the highway and extended around the south end of the lake, but I drove in just far enough to pull off onto a grassy area and walk to the lake edge.

It's a beautiful site and I went back in September. Dragonflies abound. Birds and butterflies are there. The plant life is varied and interesting.

In September, I stopped twice in one day, in the morning on my way to BR and in the late afternoon on my way home. And in the afternoon I walked north along the east shore of the lake to a stand of cattails at the northeast corner. Dragonflies were everywhere.

As the light faded and I was about to head to my car, I noticed a dragon sort of hanging from the top of a stick up. "That's an odd perch for a dragonfly," I thought to myself. But as I got close, I realized the dragon was dead. And when I got real close with my macro lens, I finally spied the reason the dragon was dead!

But if you look really close, you can see that the green lynx has a stump for one leg. I'm guessing the Halloween pennant went down fighting.


No comments:

Post a Comment