Thursday, October 11, 2012

Faces

                                 
                                              
Abe, Holmes County, Ohio, 1980

                                    

I'm missing my grandfather tonight. I took this photograph when I stopped to see him on my way to the University of Pennsylvania to begin graduate school. I believe he was 90 and he died before I finished, at the age of 93.

Because he was Old Order Amish, he and the aunt who cared for him did not have a telephone, so they weren't sure when exactly I would arrive. My aunt told me "Dawdy" sat in a lawn chair under a tree in the front yard for three days waiting for me--and that's where he was sitting when I pulled into the driveway.
                           
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment